MIKHAIL STEPANOVICH TKACHENKO (1860 – 1916)
An outstanding Ukrainian painter, a bright representative of the Kharkov landscape school. Born in Kharkov, where he received an initial art education under D. Bezperchy. In 1880 – 1888 Mikhail Tkachenko studied at the Saint Petersburg Academy of Arts under P. Chistyakov, V. Orlovsky and M. Klodt. During the studies he received all the existing academic awards. He graduated from the Academy of Arts with the rank of class artist of the 1st degree and the right of a pensioner’s travel abroad.
In 1888 Mikhail Tkachenko left for Paris, where he stayed for permanent residence. He went to Ukraine every year to paint numerous landscapes. In 1888 – 1892 he studied at the Academy of F. Cormon, was a member of the Russian Club of Artists, where he became friends with A. Bogolyubov and N. Gritsenko. Under their influence Mikhail Tkachenko got in for the marine painting. Since 1891, a permanent exponent of Paris Salon, where the paintings by the artist were repeatedly awarded with medals and awards. Solo exhibitions took place in Paris (1898, 1906, 1909). Participant of the World Exhibition in Paris (1900, Second Gold Medal), the International Exhibition in Liege (1905, Gold Medal) and many others. Since 1902 Mikhail Tkachenko held the position of the Chief Artist of the Maritime Department of the Russian Empire. In 1895 he was awarded the Order of the Legion of Honor, in 1909 – awarded the Royal order of Saint Stanislaus, 3rd grade.
The paintings by Mikhail Stepanovich Tkachenko are exhibited in the following museums:
1. The State Russian Museum, St. Petersburg;
2. Central Naval Museum, St. Petersburg;
3. National Art Museum of Ukraine, Kiev;
4. The Andrey Sheptytsky National Museum in Lviv;
5. Kharkov Art Museum;
6. The Sumy Art Museum;
7. The Saratov State Art Museum named after A. Radishev;
8. Dagestan Museum of Fine Arts named after P. Gamzatova and others.