JAKOVLEV (YAKOVLEV) MIKHAIL NIKOLAEVICH (1880 – 1942)
Painter, graphic artist, set designer.
Studied at the Stroganov School of Industrial Art, then at the Penza School of Art. Continued his education at the Princess Maria Tenisheva School of Art in St Petersburg under Ilya Repin and Dmitry Scherbinovsky. In 1909 the painting “Doll” was acquired in the collection of the Tretyakov Gallery. In 1911 Konstantin Korovin invited to work at the Bolshoi Theater.
Emigrated in 1923. Lived in France and Belgium. Since 1926 annually exhibited in the Paris Independent Salon. Performed at the triennale of Belgium art in Liege. Held solo exhibitions in Hague, Ghent, Brussels, Liege and Antwerpen. Participated at the exhibitions of the Russian artists in Hague (1924), Brussels (1924, 1928), Belgrade (1930). In 1936 created the illustrations for “The Tale of Tsar Saltan” by Alexander Pushkin, series of drawings to Russian proverbs. In 1937 took part in the design of the Soviet embassy building in Paris.
In 1937 returned to the USSR and settled in Moscow. In March 1941 held a solo exhibition in the hall of the Organizing Committee of the USSR Union of Artists. Since the beginning of the war moved to Tbilisi. In May 1942 posthumous exhibition took place in the Georgia State Art Gallery.
Grandson – Vladimir Igorevich Jakovlev (1934–1998) , famous artist – non-conformist.
Art works by Mikhail Jakovlev are exhibited in the State Tretyakov Gallery, State Russian Museum, Arkhangelsk Regional Museum of Fine Arts and other collections in Russia and Europe.