Alexander Petrovich Sokolov
He was born in a family of famous artists. His father was Peter Fedorovich Sokolov (1791-1847), brothers Peter Petrovich (1821-1899) and Pavel Petrovich Sokolov (1826-1903). They were also academicians and also painted watercolors.
In 1859, at the age of 30, he got the title of academician of watercolors for the portrait of Mrs. von Kruse.
He was one of the first members of the Society of Russian Watercolorists (the Circle of Russian Watercolorists until 1887, 1907-1917 Imperial Society of Russian Watercolorists, 1880-1918 St Petersburg).
Exhibitor of the Peredvizhniki from 1881.
1892-1906 curator of academic museums.
From 1896 a full member of the Imperial Academy of Arts.
Alexander Sokolov painted portraits of many famous people:
- Emperor Nicholas I (the Museum of V. A. Tropinin and Contemporary Moscow Artists, Moscow);
- Portraits of their Imperial Majesties (for the Coronation Album);
- Her Imperial Majesty Princess Maria Pavlovna;
- Her Imperial Majesty princess Elizabeth Fedorovna;
- Prince Alexei Ivanovich Kropotkin (V. A. Tropinin and contemporary Moscow artists museum, Moscow);
- Princess M. Sherbatova;
- Countess E. A. Strogonova, 1883 (Pskov State Museum-Reserve of History, Architecture and Art);
- I. I. Tolstoy;
- F. F. Shubert, 1845 (A. S. Pushkin State Museum, Moscow);
- Serbian Duke;
- Artist K. P. Briullov;
- S. A. Briullova (A. S. Pushkin State Museum, Moscow);
- Artist I. I. Endogurov (Sevastopol Art Museum);
- Artist K. V. Lemokh and others.
Paintings by Alexander Petrovich Sokolov are exhibited at the following museums:
- State Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow;
- State Russian Museum, St. Petersburg;
- Academy of Arts Museum, St. Petersburg;
- The Museum of V. A. Tropinin and Contemporary Moscow Artists, Moscow;
- A. S. Pushkin State Museum, Moscow;
- Pskov State Museum-Reserve of History, Architecture and Art;
- Sevastopol Art Museum;
- Orenburg Regional Museum of Fine Arts;
- Irkutsk Regional Art Museum;
- Far Eastern Art Museum, Khabarovsk and others.