GABASHVILI GIGO (GEORGY) IVANOVICH

THE CITIZENS OF TIFLIS (TBILISI)

GABASHVILI GIGO (GEORGY) IVANOVICH (1862-1936)
The first Georgian who turned to the national national theme and introduced a new character to Georgian art – the people.
He changed the tradition of the Georgian portrait of the first half of the 19th century by enriching this genre with new content and new elements of plastic expression.
He was a master of a typical social portrait in Georgia. Experience of the members of Peredvizhniki, especially Ilya Repin, whom he deeply respected, were of a great help to him. Gabashvili became one of the founders and first professors of the Academy of Arts in Tbilisi.

THE CITIZENS OF TIFLIS (TBILISI)
Year 1892
Signed and dated upper right
Oil on canvas
24.3 x 36 cm

PROVENANCE:
The painting was bought by Ester Ostrovsky’s parents at the end of the XIX century. Ester was born in 1896 in Novonikolayevsk (now Novosibirsk) and graduated from the medical faculty. Parents gave her a picture as a present when she got married to a Danish doctor, Nils Martin Ingeman-Hansen. At the beginning of their marriage they lived in Denmark, and then moved to Finland. The picture was acquired from their grandson. (Please look the photos at the gallery)

EXPERTISE:
P. M. Tretyakov independent art research & expertise, expert conclusion ОЖ 12919, № 8238-25, from 5 April 2019.

Gigo Gabashvili paintings are held in many museums. The most important collection of his artwork is kept in the National Museum of Georgia in Tbilisi. Recently a large jubilee retrospective exhibition “Gigo Gavashvili 155” was held in the museum in his honor.

Georgy Gabashvili’s paintings remain popular among art lovers to this day. His paintings are sold for up to 1,136,000 USD at international auctions.

CONDITION REPORT:
The painting is in perfect condition.

Price on request.

Category: Tag:
Share:

Gabashvili Georgy Ivanovich (Gabaev, Gigo, Grigory) 1862-1936

Painter, graphic artist.

He graduated from Tbilisi Realschule. He gained knowledge at the art studio of K. I. Keppen in Tbilisi (1880-1883). In 1883 he traveled to St. Petersburg in order to apply to the Imperial Academy of Arts, but was not admitted. From 1884 to 1885 he worked in the art studio of F. A. Rubo in St. Petersburg and in 1884 he accompanied Rubo on a trip to Kars. In 1886 he was admitted into the Imperial Academy of Arts as an extern and studied battle-painting from B. P. Villevalde (1886-1888). In 1888 he received a silver medal for encouragement.

In 1894 he travelled around Central Asia, visited Samarkand, Bukhara. In 1894 at the invitation of Rubo and on a scholarship he received from the Society for the Promotion of Literacy for Georgians, he moved to Munich to continue his education. He studied at the Munich Academy of Arts (1894-1897) where he learned from A. Wagner. In the summer of 1895 he visited Paris.

He lived in Tbilisi. In the summer of 1902 he travelled around Europe: Turkey, Greece, Italy, Spain, France, England, Holland, Switzerland, Austria.

He painted landscapes, portraits and genre paintings. He is the author of paintings: “Portrait of a Mother” (1883), “Self-Portrait” (1883), “St. Tskhoveli” (1884), “Kurdish Horseman” (1887), “Butcher” (1889), “After the Rain” (1891), “Mullah” (1892), “Three Citizens” (1893), “Georgian Woman with a Tambourine” (1893), “Bazaar in Samarkand” (1895), “The Divan Beg’s Pool in Bukhara” (1895), “Dabahana” (1896), “Kapellmeister de Rosa” (1902), “Portrait of the singer F. Koridze as Prince Gudal” (1902-1905), “Portrait of I. Chavchavadze” (1907-1908), “Portrait of A. Tsereteli” (1913). He created series of paintings “Bazaars in Samarkand” (1894-1897), “Khevsurian cycle” (1898-1899).

From 1888 he participated in exhibitions (Art Exhibition of the Caucasian Society for the Promotion of Fine Arts in Tbilisi). He was a founding member and exhibitor of the Georgian Art Society (1916-1921), Society of Georgian Artists (1922-1930). He participated in the Jubilee Exhibition of the People of USSR Art in Moscow (1927). He held solo exhibitions in Tbilisi (1891, 1898-1899, 1901, 1910, 1913, 1927, 1934).

One of the organizers (1922) and a lecturer at the Tbilisi Academy of Arts (1922-1930), professor. People’s Artist of the Georgian SSR from 1929.

Memorial exhibitions in his honor were held in Tbilisi (1940, 1951, 1958, 1963, 1966), Yerevan (1958) and Tskhinvala (1961).

From December 14, 2017 to May 30, 2018 a grand jubilee retrospective exhibition “Gigo Gabashvili 155” was held in Georgian National Museum.

His works are a part of many museum collections. The most significant collection of his works is kept in National Museum in Tbilisi.

Recently viewed