Sosnovsky Arseni Petrovich
20 August 1895 (Kiev) – 23 March 1967 (Lysekil, Sweden)
Sosnovsky was a son of a high school principal. In 1912 he started to study history and philosophy at Kiev University. His first art teacher was professor von Essen. In 1914 he went to war as a volunteer, he served on the boat Orkan as a praporshchik.
In 1920 he emigrated from Yevpatoria to Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. In January 1921 he moved to Herceg Novi (Montenegro) and married an artist G. G. Boyadzhieva. He learned to paint from A. V. Hanzen. Sosnovsky taught art at high school in Cetinje (Montenegro). At the end of 1930s he and his wife moved to Belgrade.
He mostly painted seascapes. He was friends with S. N. Baikalov-Latyshev who he got into marine art. From 1920 to 1930s he held exhibitions in Zagreb, Prague, Paris and Brussels with his wife. He took part in group exhibitions in Belgrade and Florence, his works could be seen at the exhibitions of Russian artists during the war (August 1942, June and December 1943).
Sosnovsky was an opera and a chamber singer. He performed at the concerts for Belgrade and Zagreb Radio.
After the WWII he did not accept Yugoslav citizenship. In 1950 was deported to Bulgaria with his wife. In 1951 he moved to Turkey and ended up in a camp for displaced persons in Trieste (Italy) where he taught art. With the help of his wife’s relatives, he managed to go to Sweden. He settled in the town Lysekil (Northwest of Gothenburg) where he continued to paint.
His works can be seen in Kotor Maritime museum, in the Palace of King Nikola in Cetinje, at the Museum of Herceg Novi, galleries in Zagreb, private collections in Croatia, Montenegro, Serbia and Sweden.